Email upgrade to Office 365
LAU, in collaboration with Microsoft, has upgraded all “Live@edu” student and alumni accounts into an expanded service called Office 365 for education. This upgrade took place on September 27, 2013 with no interruption in services.
For more information about the upgrade, see the checklist for users.
If you have questions or need help, contact the IT Help Desk at extension 1000.
What should I do differently after the upgrade?
- Sign in on this new location: https://www.outlook.com/lau.edu.
Other things you may have to do:
- If you use Internet Explorer 7 or earlier, upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer.
- If you use Microsoft Outlook 2003 or earlier to read your email, upgrade to Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010.
- If you want to reset the password of your personal account, use this link: https://account.live.com/password/reset (see “Personal Microsoft account” under the last question).
Does it work on mobile devices?
Yes. Please follow these instructions to set up your Office 365 account on your mobile device.
What does Office 365 include?
It includes email, instant messaging, group video and voice chat, and online document viewing and editing. With Office 365, students, faculty, and staff can access the same great Office 365 tools that businesses around the world use every day including:
- Email and calendars. 25GB of cloud-based email and calendars powered by Microsoft Exchange Online.
- Web conferencing. Rich online meetings with audio and video, desktop sharing, and virtual whiteboard.
- Office Web Apps. Create and edit Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote documents on your favorite browser.
- Team sites. Share files and documents with classmantes. Create team, study group, or club sites (up to 300 sub sites).
What has changed for me?
With Office 365, you have two separate accounts under the same username:
- Office 365 account.
- Email. You can keep using Outlook Web App or Outlook to view and send email from your LAU account, but the sign-in address has changed to https://www.outlook.com/lau.edu (using the same username and password as before).
- File sharing. We are using SharePoint Online for sharing files and Office Web Apps for creating and reading documents.
- Instant messaging and online meetings. We are using Microsoft Lync Online for both services.
- Personal Microsoft account.
Gives you access to all existing SkyDrive content, Messenger, and other Microsoft services. Use the same username and password that was used to access Live@edu. However, LAU does not administer this account. As a result, if you want to reset the password of this account, use this link: https://account.live.com/password/reset.
- Sign into OneDrive using your Live@edu user name and password.
- Bookmark OneDrive: https://onedrive.live.com/
Below is a list of new features:
|Before the upgrade||After the upgrade|
|Exchange Online (Outlook Live)||Exchange Online|
|Inbox size limit||10 GB||25 GB|
|Attachments size limit||25 MB||25 MB|
|ActiveSync for Phone||✓||✓|
|Collaboration||SkyDrive||SharePoint & SkyDrive Pro|
|Document storage library||Personal||Shared & Personal|
|Online storage per user||7 GB||7 GB (SkyDrive Pro)|
|Create full-function website(s)||✓|
|Shared calendars and discussion boards||✓|
|Real-time collaboration on documents||✓|
|Support multiple types of searches||✓|
|10 GB per tenant + 500 MB per user – SharePoint Online Storage||✓|